Join fellow Christ-followers in prayer and fasting during Lent (February 13 through March 31, 2013). Use the "prayer starters" each day and feel free to click "comments" to see how others are doing and share your own journey.


John 10


After making a distinction between true blindness and true sight at the end of John 9, Jesus then moves the discussion toward another comparison - Jesus as shepherd.

Read John 10.

In these few verses, we learn a lot about Jesus and his heart for those he would save. Unlike thieves and robbers, Jesus did not view sheep as a mere possession to be taken advantage of. Unlike hired hands, Jesus was willing to not only commit to protecting the sheep - but to actually follow through with that commitment at any cost.

He calls and protects these sheep not out of compulsion, but because he cares about them. He does not have to give up his life for them, but chooses to. Once secured, he would never let his sheep be snatched out of his hand.

How comforting to know of the love of our Savior! He has the power and the willingness to protect us from any threat - and at any cost.

But what is the role of the sheep in all of this?

"They will never follow a stranger; instead they will run away from him, because they don't recognize the voice of strangers."  (10:6)

"My sheep hear my voice, I know them, and they follow me." (10:27).

During Lent, may we consciously choose to deafen our ears to "strangers" that may lead us away from the truth. May we set aside every distraction so that we can hear our Savior's voice and follow him.

Starter Prayer:

Jesus,

Forgive me for listening to "strangers" and believing lies.
You have proven yourself the only voice worth listening to.
In your perfect obedience, you submitted even your life for our sake.
In your compassion, you care for us who deserve it not.
In your power, you are able to secure us from even the most vile enemies.
I willingly submit to your protection. I am thankful to be your sheep.
Attune my heart to your voice today.
I want to follow you.


2 comments:

  1. Jesus, You are the door through which I enter to discover pastures of freedom hedged in by Your holiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What would I do without You, Lord?
    vs 27/28 "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand." You let me hear Your voice! You let me follow You like a stupid sheep! You allow that I am as vulnerable and dependent as such a critter. You compare me to this, yet Your love delights me.

    Good Shepherd lead me home.
    Let me be with You in these days of rambling pasture where if I trust I can graze near quiet waters, still and deep.

    Your presence is my peace.
    Your care and kindness is my safety.

    ReplyDelete