Join fellow Christ-followers in prayer and fasting during Lent (February 13 through March 31, 2013). Use the "prayer starters" each day and feel free to click "comments" to see how others are doing and share your own journey.


John 15

Read John 15.

"Remain in Me, and I in you. Just as a branch is unable to produce fruit by itself unless it remains on the vine, so neither can you unless you remain in Me." (15:4)

In a continuation of His speech as recorded in John 13 and 14, Jesus now provides an example of the interplay between obedience and love. A vine's purpose is to transport nutrients absorbed in the roots all the way to the fruit. In his example, Jesus is the vine, his disciples are the buds which bear fruit by obedience, and love is the valuable nutrient that keeps the plant alive.

"My Father is glorified by this: that you produce much fruit and prove to be My disciples. As the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you. Remain in My love." (15:8-9)

It is quite easy to look at the "fruit" we are producing as Christ's disciples and feel dismayed. Shouldn't we be producing more? Our response to this feeling is often to try harder and to take things into our own hands. In this Lent season, let our response instead be to set our hearts on Christ. Of course we should DO things - and that is what this whole section is talking about - obeying and producing fruit. But obedience devoid of relationship with Christ will NOT produce fruit. 

Stay on the vine. Spend time with Christ. Obey first and always the oft-repeated command in Jesus' discourse, "Love one another". Be encouraged.

"I have spoken these things to you so that My joy may be in you and your joy may be complete." (15:11).

Starter Prayer:

Jesus,

I confess that I so often try to take control of producing fruit.
I love to obey your commands, serve others, and do, do, do.
But, Lord, when I get caught up in the deeds I lose sight of you.
Stifle my heart today.
Remind me in this time that without you I am a lowly sinner.
But supported by you, Lord, you can do great things - and already have!
Remind me in this time that you provide true nourishment for my soul - peace and joy.
And I will pass it on.

2 comments:

  1. Jesus,

    Help me not to exasperate my children by insisting that they do, do, do. May I point them toward the obedience of the faith as articualted in Romans 1:5 by anchoring them in the Gospel of God in Christ and trusting the Spirit to produce genuine affection bent toward obedient actions. It is the only way true fruit is produced. It is my children's only hope. It is my only hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful invitation - to abide in Your love and keep Your commandments of love! You want our joy to be made full!
    Oh, God, it is so true that the world hates us. It presses against at every side. Please help our insecurities and help us to remain in You and trust Your work as we abide.

    ReplyDelete