Join fellow Christ-followers in prayer and fasting during Lent (February 13 through March 31, 2013). Use the "prayer starters" each day and feel free to click "comments" to see how others are doing and share your own journey.


John 12

Read John 12.

Jesus is welcomed into Jerusalem with a joyous reception. This "Triumphal Entry" is similar to the way the Greek world would welcome a conquering emperor.

Yet, though Jesus does not turn away the (deserved) worship, he does have a solemn perspective on the situation. Immediately following his entry, he prophesies about his impending death.

We see in this chapter a great lesson in obedience. Look at the verses below. Meditate on the significance of what Christ did and the implications that his obedience could have on your obedience.


Christ's Obedience -

"Unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains by itself. But if it dies, it produces a large crop." (12:24)

"As for Me, if I am lifted up from the earth I will draw all people to Myself." (12:32)

"I know that His command is eternal life. So the things that I speak, I speak just as the Father has told Me." (12:50)


Man's Obedience -

"The one who loves his life will lose it, and the one who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life." (12:25)

"If anyone serves Me, he must follow Me. Where I am, there My servant also will be. If anyone serves Me, the Father will honor him." (12:26)

"The one who rejects Me and doesn’t accept My sayings has this as his judge: The word I have spoken will judge him on the last day." (12:48)


The Purpose of Obedience -

"What should I say—Father, save Me from this hour? But that is why I came to this hour. Father, glorify Your name!”

Then a voice came from heaven: “I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again!” (12:27-28)


Starter Prayer:

Jesus,

Thank you for your obedience, even unto death.
You always saw clearly the end goal of your actions and decisions - God's glory.
By your Holy Spirit, help me to see the world in the same way.
I need your vision and guidance to have the strength to "lose my life".


1 comment:

  1. God, i do not know with specificity what will become of me or where you particularly want me to go or what you want me to do. i know enough to know that You have prepared works for me beforehand, but not enough to predict with accuracy what those acts are.

    but i do know that your will is that i believe in the One You have sent. i know that doing God's work is believing in the Son (John 6).

    wherever i go and whatever i do, may it be in faith by grace and faithfully walking in repentance and belief before Jesus, our God.

    ReplyDelete