Join fellow Christ-followers in prayer and fasting during Lent (February 13 through March 31, 2013). Use the "prayer starters" each day and feel free to click "comments" to see how others are doing and share your own journey.


John 14

Jesus continues his final instructions to the disciples, this time giving them insight into the roles of the members of the Trinity.

Read John 14.

In this section, we see Jesus weave together the different characters involved in "The Way". Glance at the chapter and notice how many times these terms are used:

  1. "Father"
  2. "Son" (and "I", since Jesus is talking)
  3. "Spirit/Counselor"
  4. "you" (referring to the disciples)
  5. "world"

To describe the interaction generally, the Father gives the command, the Son follows the command, and the Spirit enables obedience of the command. As mankind looks upon this interaction, there are two responses:

1) Christ-followers know, see, and believe. They understand and appreciate that Jesus' obedience is the evidence of His love for the Father.

2) The world is unable to see Jesus (14:19), unable to receive the Spirit (14:17), and thus, following Jesus' logic in 14:9-10, they cannot see the Father either.

So what can we learn from this?

It is clear from this text that we show our love for God through obedience.

Jesus answered, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word (14:15)

The one who has My commands and keeps them is the one who loves Me (14:21)

If you love Me, you will keep My commands (14:23)

Taken on their own, these verses could indicate that obedience is a guilt-driven repayment of our insurmountable debt to God. It could be seen as passionless, hopeless, love-less drudgery. But...the Father knows of no such obedience! Read the rest of these 3 verses below.


"Jesus answered, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word. My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him."

"The one who has My commands and keeps them is the one who loves Me. And the one who loves Me will be loved by My Father. I also will love him and will reveal Myself to him.”

"If you love Me, you will keep My commands. And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Counselor to be with you forever. He is the Spirit of truth…you do know Him, because He remains with you and will be in you. I will not leave you as orphans; I am coming to you."

When Jesus was on earth, his role was to carry out God's commands. Now that He is with the Father, he has left us, the Church, in that role. In obeying, we are fueled by the Holy Spirit and included in the illustrious interaction of the members of the Trinity. Obedience is inextricably tied with love, relationship, and glory.

Drudgery, it is not.

Starter Prayer:

Jesus,

Thank you for modeling obedience.
It was difficult and painful, but the gains far outweighed the cost.
Thank you for including us in relationship with you and the Father!
Thank you for sending the Holy Spirit to help us!
Use my obedience today to bring glory to yourself - even at a cost to myself.
By my actions and words, may the world look at me and see you.

















2 comments:

  1. Oh, Lord! Thank You for the comfort of Your living word! Thank You for sending Your Holy Spirit to bring me peace in the midst of a world of despair. Oh, God! Each day I want to remember these words of hope...thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. God,
    Thank You for allowing me to see You.
    I was lost and now am found.
    I was blind, but now I see.
    By no effort or will power or exertion of my own was this change produced.
    I was not looking for You.
    I did not ask to see You.
    I was content to do what I thought best and leave the rest to the theologians and church-folk.

    Thank You for ruining my life.
    Thank You for being willing to accept such a pathetic life in exchange for Your Son's perfect life.

    May I be even more zealous now having inherited an eternal life worth living and having to lay even IT down to gain more of You.

    ReplyDelete