Join fellow Christ-followers in prayer and fasting during Lent (February 13 through March 31, 2013). Use the "prayer starters" each day and feel free to click "comments" to see how others are doing and share your own journey.


John 19

Today, we reach John's account of the event upon which our faith finds its foundation. As we inch closer to Good Friday, we will intersect the scene of the cross 3 more times, in Matthew, Mark, and Luke. There, we will explore more deeply the specifics of Jesus' work on the cross.

For today, mediate on John's account. Place yourself at the scene. If it's your 100th time reading this, put in the back of your mind words like justification, redemption, and propitiation. Focus on the raw details. Read this section as if it is your first time encountering the story.

Read John 19.

With all of the action in the first 18 chapters, the climax of John's gospel seems quite abrupt. And it was. On Sunday, Jesus had been welcomed into Jerusalem as a king. By Friday, he was dead. Just like that.

At the center of the travesty of the cross is the flogging, torturing, ridiculing, and crucifixion of an innocent man - a fact that Pilate himself admits.

"Look, I’m bringing Him outside to you to let you know I find no grounds for charging Him." (19:4)

Yet, even unto the end, Jesus obeys. 

"Jesus knew that everything was now accomplished that the Scripture might be fulfilled…He said, “It is finished!” Then bowing His head, He gave up His spirit." (19:28-30)

How do we respond to this?

Pilate encountered the Truth and sensed that there was something different about this Jesus. It seems clear that he didn't want to do what he did, but that fact alone does not absolve him of his guilt - he may as well have been holding the hammer that nailed Jesus' hands! In each stage of this sorry excuse for a trial, Pilate had the opportunity to do the right thing, but he didn't. He feared the crowd, and Caesar, more than God. Can we afford to have the same response when we encounter Jesus? It is not enough to be intrigued by Him. We're either with Him or against Him.

Joseph of Arimethia and Nicodemus (John 3) encountered the Truth and followed Him. They asked for His body, knowing the dangers involved with such an act, and spent egregious amounts of money to give Jesus the equivalent of a royal burial. They had once followed in secret, but now boldly claimed Jesus as King. May we live our lives with the same bold loyalty!

Starter Prayer:

Jesus,

Thank you for enduring the suffering on the cross.
Your obedience is the example for mine.
Forgive me for valuing the opinion of man over You.
I've often gone the way of the crowd instead of what I know is right.
You alone are King.
I long to hear the words, "Well done, good and faithful servant."
Bring me there.

2 comments:

  1. Jesus,
    Thank You for saying, "It is finished!"
    Thank You not only for saying it, but for meaning it, accomplishing it, proving it and providing it by faith to me.
    Forgive me my cowardice and fear of men.
    May love and apprecation for You melt my timidity.
    Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. His dead body was wrapped in linen. Nearly one hundred pounds of myrrh and aloe bathe his wounded skin. Beauty in fragrant hope the spices press in. Freshly hewn tomb then receives the tender sacrifice of His love. The fear of Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathea now turn to tests of faith when they courageously asked Pilate for His body.

    Oh, God!
    You went to the cross for me and because of my sin-stricken life.
    You carried Your own cross. Please help me to carry my own cross.
    And You said, "..the cup which the Father has given Me, shall I not drink it?"
    Please help me to drink of this cup You have given me. Let me not refuse You.
    Let me not turn away to think I will find better in humanity. Help me to look to Heaven as my hope, where I will find You there as King of Kings and LORD of all.
    Please be King of Kings and LORD of my heart!

    ReplyDelete