Join fellow Christ-followers in prayer and fasting during Lent (February 13 through March 31, 2013). Use the "prayer starters" each day and feel free to click "comments" to see how others are doing and share your own journey.


Matthew 27

Read Matthew 27.

My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?” (27:46)

From eternity past, Jesus had been one with the Father. Now, at the appointed time, Jesus experienced his first and only separation from his closest relationship. The Father could not be associated with Sin, so he departed from Christ temporarily. 

First, the desertion of his disciples, then the torture of the trial, and now the simultaneous rupture of relation with His Father and of the sins of all people for all time on pressing down on his shoulders. Jesus' lungs were unable to contain His voice.

In much the same way, the earth could not contain the gravity of the event that had just occurred. The earth quaked, releasing some of its dead. The veil in the temple ripped, removing the symbolic separation between God and mankind. The world would never be the same.

This man really was God’s Son!” (27:54)

Soon, because of this cross, the earth will quake itself new. For those whose testimony matches that of the centurion, the separation from God will be fully removed. 

Starter Prayer:

Jesus,

My sins are responsible for your death.
But, Jesus, I'm thankful that you paid for them.
If you hadn't, what hope would I have?
Thank you for standing between me and the overwhelming flood of darkness that is sin.
Thank you for following even unto the point of death, when you had legions of angels a word away.
Today, remembering your sacrifice brings me joy anew!

2 comments:

  1. Such detail of agony. The rejection again and again of a people You, Yourself established as the chosen ones. Silent as a lamb before it's slaughtered You were led to the cross, innocent of crime, but guilty of loving those who slay you.

    Oh, God! Help me to look to You for strength. When my heart is overwhelmed within me help me to cling to You. Without the mercy You have shown me I would be dead in my sins. But You have given me grace triumphant, hope spectacular, and the joy that will come in the morning! Blessed be Your name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. three men were crucified that day.

    one in his sin, one to his sin and One for the sins of all.

    ReplyDelete