Join fellow Christ-followers in prayer and fasting during Lent (February 13 through March 31, 2013). Use the "prayer starters" each day and feel free to click "comments" to see how others are doing and share your own journey.


John 21


"And there are also many other things that Jesus did, which, if they were written one by one, I suppose not even the world itself could contain the books that would be written." (21:25)

The world can barely contain the progress of the Christian faith that has come as a result of the 4 gospel accounts of Jesus' life, much less could it contain us if we had even more good books!


Read John 21.

In the concluding chapter of John, we get one last glimpse at Jesus' post-resurrection time on Earth. He specifically targets Peter, who had boldly denied him days before.

In the toughest trial of Jesus' life, Peter had failed him. Yet, Jesus comes back to him eager to reconcile. He shares an intimate breakfast with Peter. For each of the three denials Peter had given before, Jesus gives him an opportunity to reaffirm his love. And, as he does often in John, Peter takes the affirmation of love and turns it into a call to obey.

Jesus' call to "Feed my sheep" is not unlike his call to "love one another" in John 13, for the sheep of Jesus' flock compose the Church. Far from casting Peter out for his weakness, Jesus invites him right back in to his mission to shepherd his people, saying to him, "Follow Me!". Jesus still loves those who sin and will bring them on mission if only they repent and align their hearts with His.

We find ourselves in the middle of the Lent season. Take the opportunity today to realign yourself with the purpose of the season - to make less of self and make much of Christ.

Starter Prayer:

Jesus,

Thank you for second chances.
Thank you for overcoming sin with grace.
I praise your name today.
Give me the courage to obey.
Through prayer, through your Word, I need the intimate guidance from You.



2 comments:

  1. Could you map out where we are going from here until Easter in order to get the readings done first thing in the morning? I would appreciate it sir. toddhenryvanvoorst@gmail.com

    I love the restoration of Peter. I love that Jesus did not abandon the one who abandoned Him. Jesus is faithful. His promises are true. Truer than our doubts. More fierce than our fears. He will persevere His elect until the end by His Spirit.

    Thank You Jesus for securing for me that which I could not obtain, contain or maintain on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fish and bread by a ready fire. Provider of all, You know my needs before I ask. Your ways astound me! So far above my small perspective You show me Your power and all I can do is KNOW that it is YOU.

    Thank You, Lord God, for the mighty work of the cross!
    The love it took to dwell among us and to be delivered up because of us. We are helpless without Your love.

    When we doubt, or when we are sinking in fear help us to overcome. When we want to live only for ourselves please help us to love one another.

    Come quickly, Lord Jesus!

    ReplyDelete