Join fellow Christ-followers in prayer and fasting during Lent (February 13 through March 31, 2013). Use the "prayer starters" each day and feel free to click "comments" to see how others are doing and share your own journey.


Luke 22

"But Peter said, “Man, I don’t know what you’re talking about!” Immediately, while he was still speaking, a rooster crowed. Then the Lord turned and looked at Peter. So Peter remembered the word of the Lord…And he went outside and wept bitterly." (22:60-62)

As you read through the same story from a fourth perspective, make sure to notice the differences in Luke's, such as the chilling detail above.

Read Luke 22.

"On the contrary, whoever is greatest among you must become like the youngest, and whoever leads, like the one serving." (22:26-27)

Immediately following Jesus' prediction of betrayal and death, the disciples begin to argue who is the greatest among them. Jesus points out that their understanding of leadership is based on how their culture defined leadership. To them, leaders were those who were served by others. Their leadership was evidenced by the number of people over whom they had dominion and authority.

Yet, Jesus' Kingdom is different. You could even say it is an upside-down kingdom. The leaders are the servants. The least are the greatest. Jesus' journey to the cross is perhaps the greatest example of true servant leadership.

What does this mean for us? We all hold positions of leadership in some capacity - whether at home or at work. We all have a sphere of influence within which we have the opportunity to lead, to serve. Think of the effect you could have on the culture of your sphere if you set the pace for servant leadership. If the leader serves, what will the followers do? Will they not be encouraged to serve as well?

As the church, we must create a culture that is based on service. In this way, the Kingdom will expand deeper and wider.

Starter Prayer:

Jesus,

Thank you for turning the world upside down.
Gone from the believer's mind are aspirations for power, dominion, tyranny.
In their stead are aspirations to love and serve others.
Give me opportunities to lead, but not for my own gain!
Use me in your service.
Open my eyes to needs. Give me your strength and power to fulfill them.
Let people look at me as a leader not because of my talents or abilities,
But because of my heart to serve any and all.
Let people look at me and see you.

2 comments:

  1. amen.
    grant us opportunity to lead that we may serve more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So amazing! The detail here in Luke in comparison to the other Gospels...so compelling. Luke recorded Jesus turning to "look" at Peter. Oh, my! I've felt His look, but have not ever seen it with my eyes..I would have melted like Peter and wanted nothing more than His love again!

    Oh, Lord! Please help me to humble myself as You did. Help me to lower myself to see others needs as more important. How contrary to the world! How like You to ask it of us when You, purest of all, holiest, yet human, went to the place of sacrifice and death for me. You served life to me! Please give me the ability to exercise my will in this same way. Help me to show others Your life by doing so.

    ReplyDelete