Join fellow Christ-followers in prayer and fasting during Lent (February 13 through March 31, 2013). Use the "prayer starters" each day and feel free to click "comments" to see how others are doing and share your own journey.


Mark 15

Read Mark 15.

At the festival it was Pilate’s custom to release for the people a prisoner they requested. There was one named Barabbas, who was in prison with rebels who had committed murder during the rebellion…Then, willing to gratify the crowd, Pilate released Barabbas to them. (15:6-7,15)

The symbolism of the story of Barabbas is powerful and should not go unnoticed. Barabbas was known to be guilty and a murderer at that. Yet, Jesus took Barabbas' place on the cross. The nails intended for Barabbas were plunged into Jesus' hands instead. The torture, the mocking, the bullying which Barabbas deserved fell upon Jesus the Innocent.

We, as human beings, are all guilty. We have all sinned and we know it. When reading this story, we can't escape the fact that, of all the characters, we are most like Barabbas. We have been rebels, not against the Roman government, but against the holy God of the universe. If you or I were the one standing opposite Christ, the crowd would be just as wrong to choose to release us. My resume doesn't come even close to comparing with his! I deserved the nails and torture, not he!

God knows what happened to Barabbas after this point. Did he follow the crowd to the cross, realizing that Jesus had taken his place? Did he feel the earth quake, see the sky turn dark, and understand the power that his substitute had? Did he repent and believe? How could he not leave changed?!

As we approach the cross in this Lent season, we can't afford to be unchanged either. Consider your guilt to be earned, an offense to God - because it is. Consider Christ's substitution to be gracious, full of love - because it is. The greater we perceive the gap between our depravity and Christ's perfection, the more we will appreciate who He is and what he has done!

Starter Prayer:
Jesus,

Thank you for the reminder of your gospel that this passage provides.
Before I knew you, I rebelled against you.
I considered myself as the center of the universe.
By my lust, I was an adulterer.
By my selfishness and mistreatment of others, I was a murderer.
But no longer.
Your perfect record replaces my tattered one.
By your grace, I am free from the shackles of sin.
By your power, guide me today into all righteousness.



2 comments:

  1. Father, thank You for taking my place on the cross. Thank You for knowing who You are and standing in confidence before the weight of this world's evil, for my sake.

    Defender of my soul, please help me to stand in confidence, knowing who I am in You. Help me to proclaim Your truth in every aspect of who I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a weird custom?
    imagine if once a year we let people pick which death row inmate we wanted released?
    i know which one I would pick.
    NONE.

    how much more bizarre that Jesus would for the joy set before Him purposefuly endure the shame and pain of the cross that i might escape the eternal hell of punishment i deserve?

    praise Jesus!

    ReplyDelete