Join fellow Christ-followers in prayer and fasting during Lent (February 13 through March 31, 2013). Use the "prayer starters" each day and feel free to click "comments" to see how others are doing and share your own journey.


Matthew 26

Today, we will begin going through the Passion Week accounts of the other gospels.

Read Matthew 26.


"'But after I have been resurrected, I will go ahead of you to Galilee'. Peter told Him, 'Even if everyone runs away because of You, I will never run away!'


Just yesterday, we read about the account of Jesus going out to Galilee to meet Peter. Here we see that event predicted by Jesus before he was killed. Hardly a coincidence, I believe.


 “My Father! If it is possible, let this cup pass from Me. Yet not as I will, but as You will.” (26:39)

“My Father, if this cannot pass unless I drink it, Your will be done.” (26:42)

"After leaving them, He went away again and prayed a third time, saying the same thing once more." (26:44)



In reading Jesus' prayers just before his torture began, we see clearly that his preference was not to go through with what lay ahead. He didn't have to go through with it. As he points out to Peter, he could be swiped up by legions of angels who could have kept him from any harm.

Yet, the beauty of Jesus' obedience to the Father is that he always has a choice and he always chooses to obey. There was something that lay on the other side of the cross that, to Jesus, was worth the suffering. He was willing to lay aside what he desired in the temporary for the sake of the eternal. In what way can you do the same today?

The Lent season is intended to be a time for us to identify with Christ by sacrificing comforts for the sake of His glory. How is God calling to you to obey right now?

Starter Prayer:

Jesus,

I confess that I often do things to serve myself.
I often love myself more than I love you.
Let it not be!
Your eyes looked beyond the cross to the greater reward ahead.
Give me the same vision.
I give my momentary desires to You.
Use my actions today for your glory eternal!

1 comment:

  1. Jesus,

    Thank You for dying for the men who could not stay up with You to pray with You and for You. Thank You for dying in fulfillment of God's perfect will. Thank You for being my life and my death that I meant live to God and die to sin.

    ReplyDelete