Join fellow Christ-followers in prayer and fasting during Lent (February 13 through March 31, 2013). Use the "prayer starters" each day and feel free to click "comments" to see how others are doing and share your own journey.


John 13

The scene shifts from the public forum to an intimate dinner with his closest friends. With the cross mere hours away, Jesus begins preparing his disciples for his departure with a series of ethical lessons.

Read John 13.

Like he does often in John's gospel, Jesus uses an object lesson to communicate a principle. This time, the principle he wants to communicate is Christ-like love.

"I give you a new command: Love one another. Just as I have loved you, you must also love one another. By this all people will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” (13:34-35)

His means of communicating the principle: washing the disciples' feet.

"So if I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I have given you an example that you also should do just as I have done for you." (13:14-15)

To Jesus, service is the language of love. Love is not an undefined, ethereal, or vexing emotion. It is grounded in self-sacrifice and loyalty. Truly, if this brotherly love is supposed to be the proof that one is a disciple of Christ, the acts of love have to be observable!

We all have people in our lives whom we love. Today, in the spirit of the Lent season, let's go out of our way to specifically and tangibly love one of these (or more!) in a special way.

Starter Prayer:

Jesus,

Thank you for your example of service and love.
You served nobly on earth, and even more so on the cross.
May your sacrifice motivate my own today.
May I lose my life and give it to others, and to you.
May those around me know and see my love for them.
For your glory!







2 comments:

  1. Lord,
    Help me to spend time both in prayer and service to those I love in demonstrating my loyalty and attentiveness to their needs and my humility in having no one but God to trun in addressing their maturity and faith in Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Father, You "loved them to the end." You left this world with an example of humility and grace by washing the disciples feet. Thank You for being a beautiful example of what love is.

    ReplyDelete