Join fellow Christ-followers in prayer and fasting during Lent (February 13 through March 31, 2013). Use the "prayer starters" each day and feel free to click "comments" to see how others are doing and share your own journey.


Luke 23

Read Luke 23.


“Don’t you even fear God, since you are undergoing the same punishment? We are punished justly, because we’re getting back what we deserve for the things we did, but this man has done nothing wrong.” Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when You come into Your kingdom!”

And He said to him, “I assure you: Today you will be with Me in paradise.” (23:40-43)

As we arrive at the cross for the fourth time, may our hearts be in the same position as the criminal at Jesus' side. He understood that he deserved his suffering and that Jesus did not. He believed Jesus was who He said He was. That was enough for Jesus.

With the benefit of having the full canon of Scripture and 2000 years of church teaching, it becomes easy to over-complicate what saving faith really is. Cross-references, word studies, and concordances are beautiful tools, but they have the potential to make simple ideas unnecessarily difficult.

Saving faith is not a formulaic prayer. It is not a card you filled out at a middle school retreat. It is not something you have to renew like you would a driver's license. It is an attitude of the heart that says, "I am guilty and I need you, Jesus, to have hope!". This simple gospel transcends color, culture, and language barriers. This simple gospel overcomes any sin, any skeleton in the closet, and any catastrophe of our past.

Set yourself low and Christ high today. Consider your sin, hate it, and "repent and turn back, so that your sins may be wiped out, that seasons of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord" (Acts 3:19). Be like the criminal in heart. Encourage believers and non-believers alike with the simple truth of the gospel.

Starter Prayer:

Jesus,

You alone are King.
You alone give hope.
I agree with the centurion, who proclaimed, "This man really was righteous!"
I agree with the criminal, "This man has done nothing wrong"
Thank you for remembering any who believe in your Kingdom.
By your grace, you made it so simple to gain entrance to your Kingdom.
May I not complicate it.
May I not dilute it.
Give me the boldness to share it!


1 comment:

  1. Father,
    Thank You for revealing to me my failure.
    Thank You for revealing to me Your success.
    May I anchor my mind, soul and strength around these simple truths in everything I do.

    ReplyDelete