Join fellow Christ-followers in prayer and fasting during Lent (February 13 through March 31, 2013). Use the "prayer starters" each day and feel free to click "comments" to see how others are doing and share your own journey.


John 9

After mysteriously disappearing at the end of John 8, Jesus once again heals a man on the Sabbath, and uses the opportunity to teach his observers a lesson about sin.

Read John 9.

Accusations of sin are flying from every side.

Jesus' disciples accuse the blind man (or his parents) of sinning because of his blindness. The Pharisees accuse Jesus of being sinful because he heals on the Sabbath. The Pharisees accuse the (formerly) blind man of being a sinner because he (1) had been blind and (2) didn't agree with them that Jesus was a sinner.

Jesus sees things differently.

To his disciples, he clarifies that suffering is not necessarily the result of sin. Sometimes, at least, suffering gives God a platform to display His works.

To the healed man and the Pharisees, Jesus explains true blindness and true sin. The blind man may have been physically blind, but his willingness to be healed and his courage in standing up to the Pharisees showed that, spiritually-speaking, he could see. Indeed, the Pharisees were the ones who were truly blind. Their pride - how convinced they were that they could see - was actually what kept them from seeing who Jesus was. Their conviction that they were not sinners was their greatest sin.

May our Christian confession be as simple and profound as this:

"Whether or not he's a sinner, I don't know. One thing I do know: I was blind and now I can see!"

Starter Prayer:

Jesus,

Give me a heart like the blind man.
Humble enough to receive healing and worship you.
Bold enough to stand up to opposition even though he knew so little about you.
Cleanse my heart from pride.
I confess that I still sin. I am not always right.
Humble me so I may see clearly.






2 comments:

  1. God,
    I like talking about what I think I know.
    Show me what I do not know.
    Shut my mouth in humility.
    Grant me boldness to speak confidently in that which testifies rightly to Your glory.
    May I trade my confidence in intellect and my fear of man for confident in Christ and fear of God.
    May I be foolish in the eyes of men for believing the Gospel and confident before You in Christ because by You only do I see anything.

    C.S. Lewis - "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Father, I love how You found the man You healed after they cast him away ridiculing him. You then asked him if He believed in the Son of Man. He wanted to! All of this new sight knowing he was changed. Blind from birth and innocent of charges against him for both the affliction and the healing the man is tossed in this moment of God's glory.

    You not only found him, but opening his eyes and now his heart You said with pure delight, "You have both seen Him and He is the one talking with you now."

    Thank You, Lord, for healing my heart with Your amazing love.
    Thank You for always finding me amidst my confusion.
    And thank You, Lord for not caring what ofhers think of me, but reaching me in Your tender mercies.

    ReplyDelete