Join fellow Christ-followers in prayer and fasting during Lent (February 13 through March 31, 2013). Use the "prayer starters" each day and feel free to click "comments" to see how others are doing and share your own journey.


John 7

Even though he was rejected in Galilee, Jesus does not withdraw his claims to divinity. As he turns his journey back to Jerusalem, his family and the Jews (again!) reject him and his message.

Read John 7.

Jesus' presence at the Festival of Tabernacles caused a great deal of confusion among the Jews. Was he the Messiah? If he was the Messiah, why hadn't he yet claimed the throne? Was the Messiah was supposed to come from Bethlehem (7:42)? Were they supposed to know where he came from (7:27).

Or, maybe Jesus was a false prophet. If he was a false prophet, why hadn't the Pharisees arrested him? Were they trying to kill him (7:25) or not (7:20)? Didn't their scripture say that a prophet couldn't come from Galilee (7:52)?

Yet, amongst this confusion, Jesus' purpose and will was sure, grounded in the will of God the Father.

"My teaching isn't mine, but is from the One who sent me." (7:16)

"Yet I did not come on my own, but the One who sent me is true. You don't know Him; I know Him because I am from Him and he sent me" (7:28-29)

He was on the Father's timetable - planning trips to Jerusalem (7:8) and evading imprisonment (7:30,44) based on His sovereign will.

Jesus invites us away from confusion and into the assurance of His will.

"If anyone wants to do His will, he will understand whether the teaching is from God or if I am speaking on my own." (7:17)

"The one who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, will have streams of water flowing deep within him." (7:38)

Starter Prayer:

Jesus,

Life can be so tough.
Questions are everywhere. Even as I study Scripture, I sometimes don't understand.
Doubts creep in, uninvited.
Your confidence is so admirable. I want to copy it!
Align my purpose with Yours.
I want to join you in making my every act and thought honor the Almighty Father.
Use your Spirit, the living water, to enable me to do this.


2 comments:

  1. Yes, Lord...I'm so grateful that You remained firm in the Father's will in spite of the confusion around You. I want to copy that too! I want to be like You when the doubts come in without my permission, or the trials around me so common, yet easily judged by others, try to cloud my faith. Help me to stand firm!
    Help me to know what wisdom is, and to quiet myself to hear Your voice.

    Please, also Lord, allow for me to express confidently with joy and anticipation of Your coming the truth of Your "living water."(and maybe sometimes LOUDLY like You did in vs. 37) I love how children live in anticipation, Lord....help me to be like a child and live in anticipation of Your promises...wide-eyed, trusting...looking up..

    Thank you that those Spirit waters flow to my "innermost parts."
    Those places unseen by those who tend to judge from the outside. Give me the assurance to wait upon You for every life giving thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesus,
    Thank you for making so clear what we so often desire to know:

    What should we do?
    What is Your will for me?

    John 6:28-29

    28 Then they said to him, “What must we do, to be doing the works of God?” 29 Jesus answered them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.”

    John 6:40

    For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.

    simple enough that anyone can dip their toes to understand.

    deep enough that anyone can immerse in its goodness.

    ReplyDelete