Join fellow Christ-followers in prayer and fasting during Lent (February 13 through March 31, 2013). Use the "prayer starters" each day and feel free to click "comments" to see how others are doing and share your own journey.


Ash Wednesday

Why ashes to inaugurate the season of Lent? It is a sign of repentance. In the ancient tradition, the ashes of palm trees were applied to the forehead of worshipers to foster a spirit of humility and sacrifice before God. (Esther 4:1, Job 30:19)

For us, Ash Wednesday begins a time of preparation during which Christ-followers remember and reflect on the death of Jesus Christ for all. But it is not a time of somber reflection only. It is a time for renewal - a recalibration - a time to realign our lives with God's will for us.

In this Lent season we will be traveling through the gospel of John followed by the Passion Week accounts as recorded in Matthew, Mark, and Luke. True knowledge and true heart change begin with knowing who Jesus is. We will find Him in these pages. Amidst busy schedules, and even your other Bible reading plans, please join us in seeking Him together. (Posts will occur each weekday, Monday through Friday)

The liturgical calendar in the Book of Common Prayer directs worshipers to Joel 2:12-13 on Ash Wednesday:


Even nowthis is the Lord’s declarationturn to Me with all your heart,with fasting, weeping, and mourning.Tear your hearts,not just your clothes,and return to the Lord your GodFor He is gracious and compassionate,slow to anger, rich in faithful loveand He relents from sending disaster.


What can you fast from in order to fully return and draw nearer to God in this season? What obstacles can you remove from your daily life that separate your heart from the knowledge of God? Make a plan. Invite accountability. Be changed.

May we, Cornerstone Church, as a unified body, trade our sin and our distractions for a deeper knowledge of Jesus.

Fasting is feasting.

Starter Prayer...
Lord, align our hearts with Yours. Use these days to purify us. Bring us knowledge of our sin and the boldness to repent. Open our eyes to see what You see. We need You.

Amen

6 comments:

  1. Dear Lord, let us all just start out this season with thanking You for loving us as You did and continue to do.
    We are so unworthy...
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Father,

    I am giving up social media for this season. I am so excited to spend the extended time in your presence. I am also scared that I cannot do it or that I will become Pharisaic about it. Let it not be! I want to know you more. Overflow in my life and in the lives of Cornerstone Church. Motivate me (and us) by your love to shine and expand Your Kingdom!

    S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heavenly Father,
    Distractions from my home. You, my husband, and my daughter. May the chains of distraction be broken as I draw closer to what you've called me to be. Cell phones, computers, television, errands, malls, etc. Father help me simplfiy. I ache to draw near to you.
    A

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heavenly Father
    I seek your guidance as I give up baking and all sweets for you. Instead of spending my time meditating in the kitchen I want to spend my time meditating over you. Help me yield away from this temptation and pray to you each time it gets hard. I yearn to be closer to you Lord and to know your ways more.
    Amen
    A

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please help me to be more diligent in seeking Your will and less diligent following my own selfish ways. I long to draw nearer to You. Thank you for the work you did for us on the cross. I love you Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  6. fasting is feasting.

    that is a tremendously potent condensation of all that is lent and fasting.

    i had never thought of that way before.

    i had focused far too much on the giving up and not the gaining.

    http://onceforalldelivered.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete