Join fellow Christ-followers in prayer and fasting during Lent (February 13 through March 31, 2013). Use the "prayer starters" each day and feel free to click "comments" to see how others are doing and share your own journey.


John 2

The purpose of reading the book of John in this Lent season is to focus on the life and death of Jesus Christ. In chapter 2, John uses his narrative of Jesus' life to focus forward to the cross and focus inward on the condition of the human heart.

Read John 2.

Did you catch the allusions to Jesus' death and resurrection?
  • John 2:1 - "On the third day" 
  • John 2:1-12 - A wedding feast (Compare Matthew 26:29 and Revelation 19:9)
  • John 2:20-21 - Raising the "temple" in three days
Even in the beginning of His ministry, Jesus' eyes were honed in on the cross. Should not our eyes be engrained with the same image? How could my life be different in this Lent season if the cross were at the center of my field of vision rather than tucked neatly in the back of my mind?

In John 2:23-25, Jesus is hesitant to entrust himself to those who "believed" after they saw him perform great signs. Elsewhere, Jesus makes it clear that eternal life awaits all who truly believe (John 3:16, John 5:24), so why the hesitation here? When these people saw Jesus, did they see an opportunity to ride his coattails to earthly gain? Were they merely spectators, willing to agree with what Jesus was doing but unwilling to enter in? Did he know that some of these people who "believed" would, in just 3 short years, be chanting, "Crucify him!"?

Take time today to consider the nature of your belief in Christ. What do you believe about Him? Why do you believe? What are the results of your belief? The crowd of John 2 may have seen Jesus, but he knew them. He knows us, too. May our desires converge with his.

Starter Prayer:

Jesus,

Interrupt my day with thoughts of your cross.
Make me aware of the true gravity of your work.
I want to feel that weight, that I may appreciate you all the more.
Let me see the cross clearly even if it means my other "priorities" become blurred.
You know me. 
When you see into my heart, may I be different than other men!
May my motives be pure, my words bold, and my heart set on you.






2 comments:

  1. Jesus,
    You know my faith is frail and often little.
    In many ways I've seen victory in my life over sin that I never thought possible.
    In other ways I've seen failure in my life over sin that I never thought I would commit.
    I have often overestimated by ability and underestimated Your generosity and mercy.
    You don't need anyone to witness against me before You. You know me better than my accusers.

    Forgive me for my sin.
    You know all of it.
    Every last detail.
    My only hope is that You knew the baggage that came with me and died anyways.
    You are faithful.
    Continue to bring me back when I stray.
    Continue to bring me greater joy in staying.
    Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesus, the hour of your death on the cross was always before You. Even in the midst of a wedding feast, Your mind was there (2:4). Even when being questioned about Who you are, Your mind was there (2:19). The cross was ever before You. Yet You still composed Yourself and ministered to all who surrounded You.

    Teach me to keep the cross in the forefront of my mind as it was in Yours.

    ReplyDelete