Join fellow Christ-followers in prayer and fasting during Lent (February 13 through March 31, 2013). Use the "prayer starters" each day and feel free to click "comments" to see how others are doing and share your own journey.


John 6

After being rejected once again by the Jewish leaders in Jerusalem, Jesus heads north to the area surrounding the Sea of Galilee. The reception is positive initially, but Jesus proves their support to be feeble.

Read John 6.

Even though Jesus could tell that the bulk of the crowd was following him because of his "signs" (6:2), he still had the compassion to fulfill their earthly need for food. Their response to this miracle: to try to force him to be the Messiah that they wanted him to be.

But Jesus came to do more than rebel against the Romans and establish a Jewish state. As his sojourn across the Sea of Galilee proved, this God-man had power to do more than establish an earthly kingdom.

When the crowd follows him to the other side of the sea, Jesus attempts to turn their gaze from immediate, earthly priorities to everlasting, spiritual truths. The purpose of food is to sustain man for a while. In fact, the bread that he had miraculously multiplied only the day before had already left their system. How much greater, then, would food be if it never ceased to satisfy?

"I am the bread of life, no one who comes to me will ever be hungry, no one who comes to me will ever be thirsty again." (6:35)

"Anyone who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day." (6:54)

Truly, this wasn't the Messiah they were looking for. Their response?

The people who had grown up with Jesus rejected him (6:42-43). Many of his disciples withdrew and walked away from the Savior (6:66).

Turning the lens back to ourselves:

What is the nature of your belief in Jesus? Are you following him because of the earthly blessing he has provided? Have you put Jesus in a "box", constraining what he can and cannot do on the basis of your own wisdom? As you come across difficult teachings in Scripture, do you "grumble" and question God (like some of his disciples) or do you instead doubt your own wisdom?

As the body of Cornerstone Church, may our testimony join in with Simon Peter's:

"Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. We have come to believe and know that you are the Holy One of God!" (6:68-69)

Starter Prayer:

Merciful Jesus,

I consider myself so wise.
But my eyes and my mind - they are so limited in their vision.
I am prone to grasping onto things which will increase my comfort on this earth.
Yet, you offer eternal peace and security. 
You alone satisfy.

Today, when I'm hungry, turn my mind to you.
Today, when I'm thirsty, set my heart on you.
Thank you for choosing me. 
Thank you for giving me life.
The chance to know you and believe is my greatest joy!




3 comments:

  1. "This is the work of God--that you believe in the One He has sent." (6:29). God, thank You that even when my desires for You are selfish, You love me still. And You chose to give Yourself to weak, ungodly people...like me.

    I believe.

    Amen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the prayer. In my life, I would add to the last paragraph in the prayer:

    Today, when I badly want to rest on my own understanding, I turn my mind to you.
    Thank you for the peace that comes from your wisdom & your word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God, I wasted many years trying to draw myself from the mire of my well to Your great heights. I neither understand my depths of Your glory. May I not know depend on the unprofitable flesh to keep and grow me in that to which it never led me initially. Your teachings are difficult, but where else can I go? I am helplessly, hopelessly and in all humility yoking myself to You and You alone to provide life and breath and everything else along the way come hell, high water, or the remembrance of the mire.

    ReplyDelete