Join fellow Christ-followers in prayer and fasting during Lent (February 13 through March 31, 2013). Use the "prayer starters" each day and feel free to click "comments" to see how others are doing and share your own journey.


John 5

If there is one verse that summarizes our attempt to zoom in on Jesus in this Lent season, John 5:39 is a worthy candidate.

"You pore over the Scriptures because you think you have eternal life in them, yet they testify about me."

Read John 5.

In Jesus' return to Jerusalem, he proclaims his identity more boldly than before. By his actions and words, he stakes his claim to positions thought by the Jews to be reserved solely for God the Father.

  • Healer
  • Lord of the Sabbath
  • Son of God 
  • Judge
  • Giver of Life
In John 5:19-46, Jesus describes in detail the relationship he has with his Father. These verses serve both to testify about Jesus divinity and to inspire awe in us as we see the inner workings of the perfect, harmonious relationship between Son and Father.

Jesus' role as the Son is to do his Father's will, not his own. He is given the authority to judge so that people will honor both the Son and Father. He proclaims the Word so that any who hear and believe may be saved. He brings life from death. He does not accept glory from man, but acts in every way to bring glory to the Father.

The Father's role is to love His Son. He gives His Son the ability to execute His will to perfection. He gives his Son the ability to bring life from death. He gives glory to His Son and accepts the glory which His Son brings Him.

What attribute of the Son strikes you most in this passage? What about the Father? What can we learn from the harmony of the relationship between Father and Son? How can this newfound knowledge change your heart today?

Starter Prayer:

Jesus,

You are so selfless in your service of the Father. Thank you for your example!
While I clamor to receive glory from mere man, you cast such glory aside as nothing.
Your purpose is right. Mine is misguided.
Your mission is to glorify the Father, and you could have done it without us.
You could have existed from eternity to eternity in perfect relationship with Father and Holy Spirit.
Thank you, Jesus, for grafting me in when you didn't have to! 
Thank you, true God, for saving me even though it cost you so much!
Align my mission with yours today and forever.



2 comments:

  1. Jesus,

    I come to many passages assuming I've been taught correctly as to the points I am about to read.

    Surprise me often to my good and Your glory.

    If I am wrong, show me. Humble me. Lead me to godly grief that produces repentance.

    Do not let me get away with thinking I have it figured out, when I do not yet know You as I should.

    Thank You for revealing Yourself through Scripture.

    I love the Bible.

    Without You, however, it's just a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Father in Heaven, I thank You.

    Thank You that I can have life in you!
    Thank You for saying that I have passed out of death and into life.

    I confess to You and to my brothers and sisters here that I see my own needs as bigger than Your possibilities in newness of life. I am like the man at the pool in Bethesda who sees that others go before him and he cannot ever get the healing he so longs for, but feels incapable of. Restore my mind and soul to see that I have passed from death to newness of life. Please help me to walk in this and to wait upon You. There is nothing more that I need to do, but to walk in this newness of life and trust You.

    Thank You, Father in Heaven.
    Thank You for seeing and having compassion.
    Thank You for the cross and for taking ridicule and persecution on my behalf.

    ReplyDelete